BlitzMax – makedocs

Everytime I startup the MaxIDE I notice a long waiting…
I’m quite sure MaxIDE is not so complex to do ‘strange’ things at the loading, so I decided to investigate more.

I found that MaxIDE X ‘hangs’ when it needs to rebuild the ‘help’ section in the TreeView. The problem is in the command’s list: longer is, longer the time to populate the treeview…

To be honest BlitzMax has many commands (you can define how many you want) but not so many. So I looked in the ‘commands.txt’ file (it weights 1350 KB!) and I discovered there were many commands-definitions (mainly OpenGL consts…)

The reason is the Pub.Glew modules (well a new one I downloaded and installed – it’s created by the user BlabZ (see here)

As I don’t want to spent my precious time in editing other .bmx files to remove bbdoc & co references, I decided to get to the origin and change the makedocs tool.

The only change I did is to add (as command-line parameter) the modules I want makedocs will ignore.

so makedocs pub.glew means that module will not analyzed, and no commands or consts will be added to the commands.txt file.

Results? The start-up time of MaxIDE X is dropped about of 30 seconds… not bad for a such stupid problem.

Here I post the complete source with my changes.

Copy in the IDE, in build options turn off ‘Build GUI app’, and compile.

Of course I changed MaxIDE X to ‘add’ the modules I don’t want to be analyzed (in the other.cfg.txt there is a key MOD_EXCLUDED: just add the name modules separated by commas.

 

 

One thought on “BlitzMax – makedocs”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close